Sunday, May 22, 2011

A new debate

A while back we had the great debate over the issue of circumcision. Now a new great debate has arisen.

Is Torbe a pimp?

I guess the first thing to consider is what is meant by the term pimp. I don't know what the Spanish or the European view is. Here in the US, a pimp is someone who finds customers for a prostitute. For arranging these sexual encounters, the pimp gets a financial percentage of the money paid for the prostitute's services. Inherent within this arrangement is the presumption of control over the prostitute, either through use of physical aggression or access to addictive drugs. Or both.


A pimp is not considered an honorable profession here in the States. It is also illegal.

So, under these definitions...is Torbe a pimp?

Torbe is very anti-drug use, so I doubt that he would be controlling his chicasdetorbe in this way. Do the chicasdetorbe perform "additional services" along with their webcam performances? Some have said that they do. But what, if any, part does Torbe play in those encounters? In other words, are the chicasdetorbe essentially sexual free agents, or does Torbe get a cut of the action that occurs outside of their webcam endeavors?

Here, pimps have been removed from the equation in many instances by the prostitutes using Craigslist to find customers (the ultimate example of the phrase we use here, "cutting out the middleman"). This development has been the subject of much debate here, mostly after a series of prostitutes have been found murdered after having had Craigslist-generated interactions.

It is interesting to examine the strong views that people have about the intersection of porn and prostitution.

4 comments:

  1. #spanishinquisitionMay 23, 2011 at 5:29 PM

    Cliente X´s command of ghetto english has left me speechless...
    nah, seriously. I dont want to start another silly internet flame war or anything, but i do think that one should be a little bit careful when describing his own country to foreigners who have never been here.

    This is a western european democracy, not the north of Mexico. Policemen need an arrest warrant ( unlesss the suspect is caught flagranty breaking the law ) to arrest someone; and cops dont usually dont go around extorting prostitutes. Abuses ( especially by "policía municipal" i.e, local police departments that report to each city council ) do exist however, so the previous poster should name some names of towns where this has allegedly happened and report it.

    Pimping is of course a crime in Spain, even with the consent of the prostitutes ( more about this and torbe´s degree of involvement in coming posts ). Last time I checked, the disabled young children of prostitutes didnt fall into the pimp category.

    ( yeah I realise i sound kind of snobby, but unlike others i didnt have the privilege of learning english in the streets, yo! )

    all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cliente X...so a pimp in Spain is anyone who is perceived to be supported financially by a prostitute, regardless of whether the "pimp" is actively engaged in the business end of the sex trade with the prostitute? Did I get that right?

    #spanishinquisition...I appreciate your comments, especially the reference to the north of Mexico (which we here in the States would refer to as "the border"). I understand your analogy completely...thank you. No, Spain is not in the same position as the Mexican border states, that's for sure. As for pimping being a crime, I find that part confusing still. So pimping is illegal (and I assume you mean those pimps who are actually "in the business" and not also those to whom Cliente X referred)? But the actual act of prostitution is not illegal in Spain? Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not saying that "western european democracies" are as corrupt as latin banana republics. It's real that violence and insecurity are higher there, but whores have been always a collective at the border of the system. No respect, no rights, not legal guarantees for them. No matter if they are in one country or another.

    I'll use an example that Gio will understand easily. The prostitutes are in a situation comparable with the black ppl in the states in the 50's and 60's. Oh, no doubt that USA was then a democracy. But even in an advanced country like this one, rights of a wide collective were being violated. Many ppl in the north was not even aware of the real situation of the black ppl in the south, in fact was a shock for JFK when he visited some black communities and he realised that in full 20th century there were so high discrimination and poverty in the first power of the world.

    What I have found in EVERY SPANISH CITY I HAVE VISITED is that girls need to pay the police (usually local, but in big towns like Madrid they share the zones with the nationals, btw the "affaire Coslada" was discovered because the two police corps disputed between zones of control of prostitution. To understand me better, they'd be roughly like the state's police and the federals in the USA), but it's also very worring that girls who have been abroad tell me that they must pay anywhere they go: in France, in Italy, even in a small and quiet country like Denmark.

    I'm not doing this just for the prostitutes, I'm doing for the STATE OF RIGHT (or rule of law). I'm not against police, I'm against criminals wear or not uniform. Retaking the civil rights struggle, as MLK said once "An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere": so if pros are being discriminated I'M ALSO DISCRIMINATED AND ABUSED.

    And about ur questions, Gio, a "pimp" is any who gets money from a prostitute, even if she agrees. Take a look to our penal code (art 188). Prostitution is not illegal here, is ALEGAL. This means, as u know, that there are no laws about it... I was curious why our legislators, that use to regulate everything, "forgot" this issue. Well, I think that finally we found the reason :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "En la misma pena incurrirá el que se lucre explotando la prostitución de otra persona, aun con el consentimiento de la misma."

    OK, now this makes sense. Thank you for posting that link, Cliente X.

    I have a little trouble with your analogy of the prostitution issue with the civil rights issue here in the US, but I think I get your intended point. You think that the rights of the prostitutes are being abused, as are your rights as a patron of prostitutes.

    That is a very interesting perspective, but is hard for me to relate to it, basically because of my US point of view. You have given me much "food for thought," as we say here. :-)

    ReplyDelete