Monday, June 6, 2011

You can leave your heart in San Francisco...but not your foreskin?

One of the anonymous commenters asked me what I thought of the proposed ban on circumcision that is pending in San Francisco. This is why I love the anonymous commenters...they come up with some of the best questions.

For those who need some background, here you go. San Francisco is, of course, a large metropolitan city in the state of California. Think Golden Gate Bridge...Chinatown...Lombard Street...cable cars. It is a very picturesque place, but it is also politically very liberal. Beyond liberal, actually. Some would say it is kooky liberal. :-)

So there is a proposal on the ballot there that would, if passed, outlaw the practice of circumcision, even for religious reasons:

A group seeking to ban the circumcision of male children in San Francisco has succeeded in getting their controversial measure on the November ballot, meaning voters will be asked to weigh in on what until now has been a private family matter. If the measure passes, circumcision would be prohibited among males under the age of 18. The practice would become a misdemeanor offense punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 or up to one year in jail. There would be no religious exemptions. What do you think? Who should decide such questions?

There is even a comic strip starring a superhero named Foreskin Man that has been started as a result of this development, which may be of interest to Torbe!


I suppose it will surprise no one here that, in addition to thinking that this ballot proposal is about the dumbest thing San Franciscans have ever done (and that is saying a lot)...I also have no problem in clearly stating that I am adamantly opposed to this law. If the ballot measure does pass, I believe it will ultimately found to be unconstitutional. Anyone litigating the case only has to go to putalocura.com to copy some pictures of the tons of uncircumcised cocks displayed there if they need some exhibits to help prove their case!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for that clarification, Cliente X. Yes, we here view liberals (and socialists for sure!) as "leftists."

    And I am still opposed to banning circumcision. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really interesting comparison, Anonymous. If I ever get to Barcelona, I will certainly remember your comments here!

    ReplyDelete