Torbe posted a link to his latest interview. Very, very interesting!
The interview was done by a blogger named Maikelnai. I haven't had a chance to explore that site yet, but as soon as I have some spare time, I plan to do so. It looks like it would be a good read.
Of course, the most exciting thing about the interview for me was that Torbe mentioned this blog as one he reads! I only recently became aware that he even looked at this site. Now that was a shocker, let me tell you.
Here are the links to the interview on Maikelnai's blog. One link is the English version, via Google Translate. The translations there are never very good, but they are enough to at least give one an idea of the gist of the discussion. The other link is directly to the original Spanish version:
English version
Spanish version
I'm not sure yet how I feel about being referred to as "una abogada yanki cuarentona" by Torbe. I'm hoping it translates as "a forty year old American lawyer" and not "some old broad in America."
Your translate is correct :) Greentings from Spain.
ReplyDeleteMuchas gracias, José. :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm afraid that "una abogada yanki cuarentona" contains, apart from the article (una) just one word that is not pejorative, that is, if you don't consider "lawyer" (abogada) as a term of abuse :-) "Cuarentona" is something we say of a person who is in their forties implying that being that age is far from desirable. "Yanki" is a widely used pejorative word for U.S. citizens. As far as I can recall now, we only have four pejorative words for people regarding their origins: "gabachos" for the French, "moros" for the Arabs (or others that might be mistaken for Arabs, "sudacas" for everyone in South America and "yankis" for the citizens of the U.S. I don't mean to erode your admiration for this character, but since you asked... Bear in mind, though, that Spaniards just love to be rude for the sake of it, so very often something like this "abogada yanki cuarentona" is not to be taken personally. I hope you keep the blog. I like it.
ReplyDeleteOh, Anonymous...I am so sorry for the delayed response! I just saw your comment.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the explanation. So basically, Torbe was calling me "some old broad in America?" Sounds like it. :-)
Well, I am an American. And I am in his age group...I think he is in his forties? And lawyers are disliked pretty much everywhere on the planet, so that's no surprise either. ;-)
Thanks too for the additional explanations. Very, very interesting. I did not know that Spaniards like to be rude! And I also appreciated the lesson in pejorative terms.
Finally, I appreciate your kind words about my blog. That was nice of you. Unless you were being a rude Spaniard and were also making fun of me? But that's OK too. :-)