Sunday, December 12, 2010

Torbe Shrugged

Holy Mother of God! No pun intended.

Torbe's latest blog post recapping some of his business dealings of the past week is beyond multi-faceted. So many layers. So so so many layers. It will take me some time to get through it all.

Torbe included a ton of hot links to previous posts of his, which is very helpful to me in understanding where he is coming from intellectually. But it is rather overwhelming for me to deal with all the translation issues all at once! I will just have to set some time aside to complete my Torbe "homework." La Universidad de Torbe, so to speak. :-)

I was very pleased that his Barcelona-Madrid rail trip report was basically as I had translated it through his tweets. I am indeed getting better at this whole Spanish comprehension thing, slowly but surely...at least on the most basic levels.

Now. On to the main event. Torbe includes a link to a YouTube video from back in the day: Ayn Rand being interviewed by Phil Donahue, complete with Spanish subtitles.

I was absolutely astounded by this, again on so many levels. This is not something one would expect from anyone in the porn industry, much less the king of Spanish porn. Does he have familiarity with Rand's work? Has he read The Fountainhead? What about Atlas Shrugged? Is Torbe himself, a product of post-Franco Spain, an Objectivist? Does he understand Rand's political background in the US? Her impact on US economic policy? Does he know about her personal life, and if so, what does he think about her relationship with Nathaniel Branden? I feel compelled to add a YouTube link of my own...




And of course, on a lighter note with reference to the pop culture front...does he even know who Phil Donahue is? Much less who he is married to? And who his father-in-law was? :-)


I remain, as always, absolutely fascinated. Now if someone could just explain to me who this Belén Esteban creature is...

2 comments:

  1. OK...thanks. But what is she famous for? Being ignorant and stupid, yes...but anything else? Is she a television star or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When she was very young, she married a famous bullfighter (Jesulín Ubrique). They have a daughter together and are divorced him due to his infidelity, resulting which has become the target of the paparazzi and tabloids.

    As a person "trash" with very little culture, foul-mouthed but with a facet-fighter protective mother, the female TV audience of junk programs identify with she. Tele5 chanel is exploiting this image and "use" her in many programs.

    I hope it serves you to get an idea about. If you need more information on this or any other aspect of life in Spain, I will gladly help you.

    Kisses.

    ReplyDelete