It takes me a while to figure things out in the Spanish language, but I always catch on eventually.
Cliente X posted a comment about me on Torbe's blog the other day. He said this about me and my attitude toward Torbe...está que bebe los vientos por tí.
OK. My Spanish vocabulary has improved considerably ever since I started reading Torbe's blog. But this made no sense. I drink the winds for Torbe? Huh? What does that mean? I finally found a translation...Cliente X thinks I am in love with Torbe!
Building up my Spanish vocabulary is one thing. Learning Spanish idioms is quite another.
I suppose I can't be too hard on Cliente X. After all, I do have an entire blog devoted to nothing but Torbe. And really...how can you not love this face?
Torbe has been posting that he hasn't shaved since he came back to Madrid from Barcelona because he forgot his razor. I think he is having it sent back to him. I think. Why he doesn't just get a new one is a mystery. I like the beard regardless. But I digress.
For the benefit of Cliente X and all other blog readers who may be interested...I would be hard pressed to say that I am "in love" with Torbe. I think you need to at least have met a person in real life before you can truly be in love with them. So having not met Torbe in real life, I cannot say how I would react to him on an interpersonal level. As we say here in the States, the jury is still out on that one.
Only 18 year old girls fall in love with someone that quickly. Una abogada yanki cuarentona is a bit smarter about such things (I also found out recently that the phrase una abogada yanki cuarentona is not exactly a compliment, but that I shouldn't take it personally because Spanish people love to be rude). :-)
Rude or not, Torbe definitely is loveable, that's for sure! No doubt about it. And I remain, as always, a huge, huge fan.

Hi Gio
ReplyDeletesorry for tell you "una abogada yanki cuarentona", in twitter i usually use short words to tell things. What i wanted to say was "una abogada norteamericana de unos cuarenta años" but, as you see, is much longer :) and twitter is not possible to tell long phrases
sorry anyway
Another saying we have in the US is..."nice save." :-)
ReplyDeleteIn other words, thank you for the apology, even though it was not at all necessary. It is practically impossible to offend norteamericana abogadas, ha ha! You are very gracious and a true gentleman, and I appreciate it very much.
Haha, are u reading me on torbe's blog? And even better, u are understanding!!!!! "Beber los vientos por alguien" or "estar coladito por alguien" is that u like him/her. We also say "estar pillado". To fall in love is a step further and I agree with u, it's much harder. Only when one is young and inexperiencied love at first sight is possible, later you become much more prudent.
ReplyDelete"Una abogada yanki cuarentona", said by oneself, is not pejoractive but can be understand as a joke.
And thanks of your blog I'm also refreshing my english.
Cultural exchange is good. :-)
ReplyDelete