Sunday, February 20, 2011

Third world whores

My usual Sunday morning involves going to yoga.  This Sunday was no different.  Today we had a substitute instructor, but she still kicked our little yoga butts (in a good way).

Ramona looks like a good little yoga dog doing her morning stretches.  Looks like the "Upward Dog" pose to me (a little yoga humor there for the yoginis among us).  I love Ramona more and more as time goes on.  :-)


I also do a post-yoga breakfast/lunch on most Sundays...and again, today was no exception.  Torbe usually also eats out a lot, but today it looks like la hermana de la pobrecita made the meal.  Interesting.


Let's just say that is clearly and most definitely not an American plate of food.  Oh, if I were in Spain and someone put that plate in front of me, I would eat it.  First, I would want to be polite.  Second, it is good to experience other cultures.  But I wouldn't ask for seconds, nor would I ever make that dish on my own.

That's an awful lot of chickpeas.  Or garbanzo beans.  Or whatever you want to call them.  Hmmm.  I would much rather have a sandwich and a Coke.  Well, actually...a Diet Coke with Lime.  Or a Coke Zero.

It is interesting to me that la pobrecita apparently brought her sister into the mix, apparently to do the cooking, while la pobrecita does the follar-ing.  That is very third world to my American eyes.  I guess I was kind of shocked by this, as I always thought of Spain as more European in nature.  But maybe not?

In America, many women try to gain entry to this country by marrying an American citizen.  Usually this happens when men are overseas, either in the military or on business, and become enraptured by some local whore.  They marry her, bring her back, and then find out she is basically useless to them because she can't do anything and you can't take her anywhere in public because she is not able to fit into society here.  So the foreign-but-now-green-card-holding whore starts the process of bringing her entire family over.  The whore usually starts with a sister who can cook and do the chores.

Needless to say, this practice is looked down upon by many Americans.  We tend to be a snobbish lot about such things.  We love immigrants, because we are a nation of immigrants after all...but we only love certain kinds.  Smart ones with advanced degrees in desirable fields, for example.  Business people with lots of money to invest in American projects, as another example.

Whores who marry "our boys?"  Not so much.

Immigration is a huge issue in our country right now, mostly due to the influx of Mexican illegals (the politically correct term now is "undocumented aliens").  We have certain parts of the country that are very anti-Hispanic because of the Mexican illegal experience.  Many people here do not distinguish among or between the various Hispanic countries and cultures.  It is a strange dynamic for Hispanics here right now.

The whores who marry into the country, however, are hated across the board, regardless of ethnicity.  It is not easy to be a whore in America, but it is particularly difficult to be an immigrant whore who has married her way in and cannot be deported.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha I enjoy a lot with ur sincerity, how funny is to see how yankis see us. I'm sure u'd be happy with ur trash food but girl, wait to try our mediterranean diet. "Guiris" lose their head with the tortilla de patata (potato omelette), paella (famous worldwide) or the horchata (has no translation as far as i know, its a drink).

    What u show in that photo is a COCIDO (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocido_madrile%C3%B1o), a very simple one btw. Its one of our more known foods, in fact its very representative from the land I am. Bcause there are not just a cocido but a wide variety of them, the CODIDO MARAGATO is from Astorga (small town of around 10 k ppl in which I lived when I was a child) and if u try it u'd piss ur pants. I promise. It has a the garbanzos with carrots, potatos and a kind of vegetable we call berza and also a mixed of meats from chicken and pork. Its delicious, specially when its cold as now.

    I hope Torbe won't read that u call carol a 3rd wold whore, whoa I didn't expect this from u. I'm sad that u think in that way of some inmigrants, many of them just want an opportunity. I agree with u, to cheat an american to carry u with him and then leave it's not right... I understand ur answer to my email. Just try to think as a person that is desesperated cause in his country he thinks he has no future (and some not just for economic reasons, but also political ones... yeah, as the peregrins from the Mayflower... u are almost all inmigrants, u fucked up well the native americans there). The famous motto "America, land of opportunities" has a lot of strengh everywhere.

    Ah and between u and me, "la pobrecita"'s sister is nice, but not beauty at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cliente X, as usual...thank you for your comments. Your posts are always very interesting and highly instructive. :-)

    Someday I will travel to Spain, and I promise you that when I do...I will try out your Cocido. I remain skeptical that I can get all that excited about a bunch of garbanzo beans, but I will defer judgment until after having had the opportunity to try the dish. And if I truly fall in love with this meal, I promise I will admit it!

    I am sorry if Torbe would be offended by me referring to any of his girls as whores. But...it is the American perspective. Torbe is a very sophisticated man, although I think he does not often like to openly admit that. :-) Anyway, I would guess that he is familiar with the American perspective on this issue, and would respectfully disagree with my characterization.

    It seems that you all over there seem to make a distinction between girls who do porn and girls who have sex in the puticlubs. Here...we do not make such distinctions. My culture views them ALL as whores. In fact, in some ways, women who do porn are looked down upon MORE than what we here would call "street whores." Some think that street whores are desperate women making desperate choices for very desperate reasons, whereas porn chicks affirmatively and willingly choose to do that kind of thing and are therefore...sluttier?

    As you can see, we have an interesting blend of repressed and at the same time sometimes very open view of sex in the US. Even those of us who live here don't understand it many times. We send out a lot of mixed messages over here, that's for sure.

    As for your disappointment with our overall view of immigrants...that was my point. I think that many times it is rather hypocritical and not very nice.

    ReplyDelete